Monday, July 30, 2007

Sheltering

Being homeschooled, I have encountered the stereotype that I have been sheltered. The stereotype would say that many of those homeschooled do not know about the real world, because they have not been in the real world. Just recently, I had a friend who told me that he thought I was being sheltered for not being in public school. I will not mention this particular person by name, because I would not like to make it appear I am publicly criticizing him. I think he meant well, although the rational of the matter is that it is not his business.
I went on to ask him what it was I was sheltered from. The conversation pretty much died after that. I usually avoid such arguments. The question, though, does bring up many more interesting points and questions. One such argument used in against homeschooling, is that for a child to learn about the "real world," he should be bullied. Of course, in this case, we must assume that there is a bully. We should not raise our children under the impression that they should be bully's or that being a bully serves a good purpose in the world. In reality, what we should do is train them up in the way that they should go, fervently grounded in Scripture.
I do not think that this means we should reject anything modern, or secular. Some homeschoolers may do that too much. We should reject sin, and live in accordance with God's grace, which serves as an alternative to sinful nature. I heard one particular homeschool graduating friend of mine, say that she has been sheltered, "From worldly ideologies" such as declaring that "Homosexual is fine" and the world of "drugs and fornication" (paraphrased along those lines). This, again, brings up interesting points. Should the church separate the children from such ideologies completely, or should they allow their children to see them, only to learn to make their own choices, and learn from their mistakes?
I personally believe that there is a fine line in this. We should teach the sinfulness of these false worldly ideologies to our children. This, I believe, being the point of this particular person, is true. However at the same time, we should not over-shelter our children from the fact that these false ideologies are present in the world today. I believe that if we commit this "over-sheltering," one of two things would most likely happen: either the child still hears of these worldly ideologies (given that it is advertised everywhere in the world, and is very easily seen), and thus falls into the temptations and rebels against the parental sheltering; or, the child is so sheltered, that he is unable to give a reasonable defense for the alternative Christian ideologies. 1 Peter 3:15 tells us to "Be prepared to give a defense to those who asks us to give an account for the hope that is in us." The rationality of the matter is that we would not be able to give a defense if we are clueless to the opposing view.
However, we should be reasonable, so that in teaching our children these worldviews, we teach them as false, to the extent that they are false. We should not defend something that is obviously against Biblical grounds. We should always base any of our thoughts on Biblical teaching. Anything that contradicts Biblical teachings is wrong.
One good example of this would be the popular DaVinci Code novel book and movie series. I believe whole-heartedly that this is based off of false teaching. I never saw this movie, but I could tell from the advertisements that this was wrong. However, I was not against seeing this movie either. One particular family member of whom I have great respect for told me it would be wrong to see it. However, I believe that because of my ignorance to The DaVinci Code, I would not be able to give a reasonable defense for the alternative Christian worldview.
In the public school setting, the teachers are forced to be neutral, which in and of itself is only a special form of being biased. Because of this, many children get conflicting indoctrination. False indoctrination leads to many confusing and conflicting ideologies in children, which is perhaps the greatest sheltering of all- the sheltering of the absolute truth found in the Gospel.
I believe that some people do not homeschool for the right reasons, and I do believe that you can over-shelter children from these false ideologies. A lot of the way children learn, and become adults, is through experiencing tough choices themselves, and learning from their mistakes. Having someone over their shoulders all the time is not good.
But what many people do not realize is that homeschooling is not being trapped in your house all day long learning only from your mother. While being homeschooled, I have been able to take college classes at Jeff State. Many homeschooled students take classes with other homeschooled students. I can honestly say that I don't think most of the homeschooled students I know have a small network of friends available. Some homeschooled students have a greater network of friends than public schooled students, many friends being the friends that will last longer. Many homeschool groups have athletic programs. There is also a near-by band for homeschooled students to partake in concerts, solo & ensemble festivals, and athletic events as a pep-band.
I know that homeschooling does not offer the athletic atmospheres that public schools do. However, I do not think that that means that homeschoolers are any less happy, or that the events are any less fun. I also feel that it is wrong to simply base education off of these extra-curricular activities.
In closing, there is a healthy line, I believe, in the sheltering and lack thereof of children, and, anyone for that matter. In all ways, guard yourself with the Word of God, and if you are a parent, place God's Word upon your children. Be prepared to give a defense for this Truth; learn from your mistakes; do not let anything replace the Truth that is in you.
What do you think?
Pray for our Troops.
God bless.
July 30, 2007
Ryan

No comments: