Friday, June 22, 2007

I Miss Football

Well it's June now, and I am already wanting football to come- especially good ole college football. In fact, I've actually been watching old Auburn games just to help ease my desire to watch football. I really miss the 2004 13-0 season for Auburn, and it's got me hoping that maybe this year they can go 14-0. Maybe that is really unlikely but I would sure love it!
Yup, Auburn has many great games of the past- classics, that will always be remembered. This year is sure to have some of those as well. For the time being, being that football is still a little ways away, I can just watch these old classics, which is what I have been doing.
Some classics that stand out for me would be the 1997 Auburn vs. LSU game, in which Auburn won in death valley 31-28; the 1997 Auburn vs. Alabama game, in which Auburn won with a late field goal to win 18-17; the 2000 Auburn vs. Georgia game, in which Auburn won in a see-saw battle in overtime; the 2001 Auburn vs. Florida game, in which Auburn beat top-ranked Florida with a late field goal 23-20; the 2001 Auburn vs. Georgia game, in which Auburn won by holding Georgia at the goal line at the very end; the 2002 Auburn vs. Alabama game, in which Auburn beat heavily favored and highly ranked Alabama 17-7, relying on fourth string tail back Tre Smith; 2003 bowl game against Penn St. (2002 season), in which Ronnie Brown scored late in the fourth quarter to give Auburn a lead, and eventually the 13-9 win (that would be Jim Fyffe's last time to yell "Touchdown Auburn!!!"); the 2004 Auburn vs. LSU game in which Auburn won with a late touchdown, and the extra point after the original miss called back for a penalty, winning 10-9; 2005 Auburn against Georgia, in which Auburn won 31-30 after making a fourth down conversion in a classic see-saw game; 2006 against LSU, in which Auburn won at the end, by some saying Auburn was lucky because of a bad call (but it probably was the right call), winning in a defensive classic 7-3; 2006 Auburn against Florida, in which Auburn beat the number two team, who would eventually win the national championship 27-17, in a game where Auburn shut Florida out in the second half; 2006 against Alabama, in a see-saw game in which Auburn pulled it out by a Cox to Rodreguiz touchdown play, winning 23-15. Man, all the memories, just that I remember, and I may have left out some! There were the few close games Auburn lost (96 vs. UGA, 96 vs, UA, 97 vs. Tenn., 2002 vs. UGA, 2003 vs. Ole Miss, 2005 vs. LSU). There were all those before I really kept up, but that I am familiar with, (93 vs. Alabama, 94 vs. LSU, 94 vs. Fl., 95 vs. Alabama). Man, great memories being an Auburn fan!
And I can hardly wait! And believe it or not, it's not that far away...well maybe two months, and another week or two after that, but that's not too long, right?! And it will be exiting this year, not just for Auburn, but for Alabama, to see if Nick Saban is as good as fans are wanting, and for the last-year-power-teams, such as Florida and LSU from the SEC, as well as Ohio St., USC, and Michigan. We'll have to see how it goes, but I miss football! (Ohh, and I am also looking foward to seeing how rookie NFLers do, especially those from the SEC. I'll write back sometimes with my predictions for this year! It should be great, as always!

No comments: