Friday, February 1, 2008

Final Thoughts Before the Primaries

I figured before I get back into my "lessons" series, I would give a final blog about the upcoming Presidential Primary elections here in Alabama. I want to make this a quick (hopefully!) defense for my support of Congressman Ron Paul, Texas. I understand that he has little chance of winning, and many consider his views too radical, but I do believe he would be the best man for the job.

For one, Congressman Paul is the most convicted man running I do believe. He has convictions that do not depend on the latest surveys or polls. Congressman Paul is a Christian, and incorporates this worldview into his political ideology. Even if you may have disagreements with some of his applications, it is fairly obvious that he is at least convicted in his thoughts, and has come to what he sees as the best conclusion.

In saying this, he has the most consistent record of anyone running, and in Congress is known as "Dr. No." If the proposed bill is unconstitutional, then you can almost bank all of your money that Congressman Paul will vote against it, if he does indeed vote on the matter. And I believe with little question that one of the key missing elements in today's political society is the Supremecy view of the Constitution, and the main reason we have a Constitution. The Constitution was formed to limit the role of the Central government, not the people of the nation.

But even in saying this, I agree with most of what Dr. Paul has to say about the applications of this philosophy. We have a big monstrous government that spends way too much. Not many politicians would speak against our dangerous system of fiat money as I believe it is, but Dr. Paul does. Not many politicians want to get the Central Government out of education (something that is unconstitutional) while I do, but Dr. Paul does. This list that seems all too "radical" can go on longer, but these are the more obvious issues that come to my mind.

On the more dominant issues we see, Dr. Paul is pro-life, and for tougher border security, wanting no amnesty for those who come here illegally. After all, should they come here and not pay the taxes legal citizens pay, only to take part in our government programs (which are unconstitutional often times anyway)? Dr. Paul also wants to abolish the Federal Income Tax (which was also originally unconstitutional). We are all over taxed, and perhaps Dr. Paul stresses that the most. Consider how much more the government takes from you against your will, compared to the ten percent you should freely tithe at church.

I write this, and have written little on the issue of foreign policy, which is perhaps the biggest issue that drive Congressman Paul apart from the conservatives. I wrote of this in the last blog, and briefly defended Paul. I do not deny the possibility that Dr. Paul is perhaps a bit naive, but at least he knows where he stands and why he stands there. Congressman Paul has been the most consistent in foreign policy, showing me that he is not just making this a political issues as many Democrats and Republicans do. Even if you disagree with his foreign policy, I would rather disagree with a principled man, than agree with a man (or woman) of no principles, who will probably change their mind when the time shows them benefits of doing so. I would rather be in no war than a war for merely political reasons.

And the issue of foreign policy is really very complicated anyway. While I do agree that we should go after our enemy (as Dr. Paul agrees with as well), we should be careful. And one thing I wonder: If there are terrorists who camp out in Iraq, then perhaps they are there because we are there. If they want to kill us, wouldn't they go where we go? And if getting out of Iraq means they would follow us here, then does it follow that going to Iraq or staying in Iraq means that they would follow us to or stay in Iraq? Maybe this logic can be explained away, but I do think they are at least a decent question to be asked.

I should probably mention the others who are running for President as well. I appreciate Mike Huckabee's Christian values, but he wants a big Central government (and he scares me be a slick Christian from Arkansas, as Clinton was). Giuliani is a bit liberal on social issues and does not have the best personal life either. Mitt Romney, a Mormon, has changed his political views over time, and does not have the best right now anyway. John McCain is just John McCain, and has been moderate-at-best on many issues. When it is said and done, Congressman Paul is the most principled man, the best Constitutionalist, and closest to my specific points of view.

So when it is said and done, I give support for Congressman Paul for these reasons: I believe he is the most principled man running for President; I believe that he will better secure the borders; I believe he will lower taxes accross the board; I believe his foreign policy, whether you agree with it or disagree with it, will be acted upon in principles, not for political purposes; he is pro-life and has spoken in favor of over-turning Roe vs. Wade; and finally, because he is the best Constitutionalist running for President, a principle much forgotten about today.

And one last quote about war that I just found yesterday...Warriors fight, not because they hate those in front of them, but because they love those who are behind them. -G.K. Chesterton

And one more...Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busy-bodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes
sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis


And to close it up, here is a link to Dr. Ron Paul's statement of faith:

http://www.covenantnews.com/ronpaul070721.htm



5 comments:

Clifton J. said...

.... Ron Paul? I don't agree with you here, but nonetheless you've done an excellent write-up here and you seem to have done a considerable amount of studying before you decided who you would vote for. You have compelling reasons to vote for him, and for that, you get an A+.

To follow up, I voted for Mitt Romney today because I think is the right man for the job since he has excellent plans for America as it is right now. Some of Paul's ideas I respect, but they're just such a radical deperature from modern liberalism that I think it would kill this country to make such a leap backward. Plus, I really don't think he understands foreign policy, and he is against capital punishment (the first Old Testament law instituted by God, see Genesis). That said, you've done homework, and you find him to be the man who you support. As long as you support him and have compelling reasons to do so, then I'm cool with it. Again, good write-up, and thanks for voting and doing what every good American citizen should do.

Clifton J.

Ryan said...

Thanks Clifton! I don't know if you read my previous blog on foreign policy or not. I have such mixed feelings on foreign policy, so it was hard for me to really criticize or praise Paul on the issue. But given that what he states on the issues I understand, I agree with, I feel I could put more trust in him than other candidates. I do agree with his overall foreign policy of being humble and so forth, but how that fits in with today I'm not sure about.

As far as him being too "radical," or not, well, maybe being radical is what we need. If nothing else, we need a Constitutionalist, and that is what Paul is - the best of any candidate. But I can see where you would say that.

And as far as the capital punishment goes, I have not studied or seen much on his views on that, but I get the idea he wants state's rights on the issue. Although I agree with captial punishment in certain cases, I am not sure it at the Federal level is good or not. If it is, then we probably need a Constitutional Amendement on it, or something to that affect.

But that to say, thanks for your comment. I figured he didn't have a chance, but he was probably the best one (and the others who I may have considered voting for were either dropped out or had less chance than Paul i.e. Alan Keyes, Tom Tancredo). Thanks again,

Ryan

Olivia said...

On Ron Paul;
I have heard so many people say they wouldn't vote for him because even though he claims to be a Christian, he will do nothing to ban homosexuality federally.
IT IS NOT A FEDERAL ISSUE!
It's a state issue. If Massachusetts decides they all want to be gay. So be it! There is where freedom lies, the few who don't want a homosexual state can move, to Alabama for instance!
Same for Abortion, and so many other things, it should be states saying NO or yes, depending on the people.
Great post.
Olivia

Ryan said...

It would not hurt my feelings a bit if every state banned homosexual marriage and abortion, but like you, I'm not so sure it is a Federal issue. States have their laws on murder and theft and so forth anyway. Roe vs. Wade is wrong because it takes the issue away from the states making it like a "natural right" no state could take away. When the Declaration lists out our natural unalienable God-given Rights, I know of no where it states abortion.

Ryan

Jerry said...

Like Ryan (I think I know him from SOMEWHERE) I voted for Paul. I did this knowing he has about as much chance of winning the nomination, let alone the election, as I do of winning People Magazines World's Sexiest Man award! However, I decided probably 15 years ago to not vote for anyone for any level that I do not agree with them in principle. I may not agree with anyone 100% of the time in the particulars - probably never will. But, I have to agree with them in overarching principles.

Ron Paul is a true constitutionalist. He is the only one of EITHER major party who is even remotely a constitutionalist. That's all I need.

His foreign policy is really an echo of that of George Washington (see his farewell address). ALL of the other candidates of BOTH parties have a strong interventionist foreign policy. This is always disastrous. (again, this is a principle - interventionism vs non-interventionism)

As for the particular issue of the current war - it is such a complex issue that I am not firmly entrenched on either side. therefore, I may or may not agree with Paul on this particular. I really don't know. But, again, Paul has an underlying philosphy on war that I agree with fully. His philosophy is neitehr pacifist (never ever engage in war) nor emperialist (always engage in war when you see a benefit to your mother country) Paul's philosphy follows the ancient and might I add Christian doctrine of "Just War." That is, there are valid reasons to justify war. If those criteria are met, you are justified in waging war. If they are not, you are not. He believes this war does not meet just war qualifications. I don't know if it does or not, but the "just war" theory is one I hold to so again, I agree with him in principle.

As for death penalty - I am for it in theory. I struggle with it in practice because it can be disastrous. God's law gave provisions for capital punishment. Do our laws reflect that? Why or why not? Is Paul against capital punishment totally, or is he uneasy in its application - especially at the federal level vs the state level? Again, I do not know, but know of Paul, I suspect he is not that different from me here, either.

Romnye just dropped out. He is wishy washy. He is a Mormon. Two strikes right there!

Not only do I disagree with McCain on a lot of issues, I think he behaves in a manner more UNpresidential than all the candidates of both parties combined.

This of course leaves me with very little to choose from. If McCain wins the primary, do I vote for him or not vote at all (I WILL NOT vote for whichever Dem candidate wins the nomination) I am still uncertain about Huckabee. I think he is a good guy, but he is definitely NOT a constitutionalist. He has indicated support as president of such things as art and music education in the schools. Ok. I am all for art and music education, but what on earth should this have to do with being president??? Constitutionally, the president, nor the Central government in any way, does not have any power to meddle in education.

Sorry I rambled. Got to go take my meds now!!!