Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Forgotten Holiday

The Forgotten Holiday

Happy Thanksgiving! Or are you too sucked into the “Christmas spirit.” It is easy to. I am looking forward to Christmas myself. I enjoy the Christmas music, the presents, the tradition, the Christmas story of Jesus, and believe it or not, even the hectic Christmas shopping. But right as you are getting ready for Christmas, we have another holiday that seems ever so forgotten- Thanksgiving.

We don’t know the story of Thanksgiving that well – nor do we know how it applies to us today. We hear a little “Let’s be thankful” speech from our parents that lasts about five minutes, we eat a little turkey, and then….dream more about Christmas, and enjoy the few days off we have of school. But do we thank God for these few days off to give us just enough rest? Do we thank Him for the turkey? Do we thank Him for the upcoming holiday – Christmas – that is approaching us? Not often do we do these things.

But I encourage you not to forget about Thanksgiving this year. Maybe I’m writing this a little later than I should, but then again it is never too late to be thankful. Oh yeah, now we have another thing that will get in the way of our thanks (at least here in Alabama) – the Iron Bowl. And all over the nation there is a rivalry this weekend of some sort. But perhaps we should be thankful for football, and all of its rivalries.

I could probably be more thankful than what I am. But I do try to remember what I have that I don’t have to have. My food. Food provides us meal, but also taste. God could have given us food that tasted nasty ain which we would only eat to fill us up. But instead He gave us macaroni & cheese, pizza, steak, fried chicken, juicy cheeseburgers, and of course, turkey! Are you hungry yet?! What else is there to be thankful for? How about churches open every Sunday morning where we can go to not only praise God, but enjoy the fellowship with others that He gives us. What about any friendship and fellowship we have. What about our work – the fact we can help others, and make money in the process! Our hands, feet, clothing, shelter, appliances (including the computer I write this on, and TV’s to watch the Iron Bowl on). What about salvation itself?!

So we have plenty to be thankful for. I too often complain. I have been trying to get some money in, but any work I try to do has been kind of dry lately. But I remember not to complain. God always does His part for me, and it would only be my own laziness that would prevent me from reaching my full potential. So don’t complain – especially this time of year – Thanksgiving. You have plenty more to be thankful for. Don’t forget Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving!

War Eagle!

What do you think?

God bless America

Pray for our Troops

November 21, 2007

Ryan Hampton

2 comments:

Kathy, Jeff's Wife said...

Congrats on your Eagle Scout.

Happy Thanksgiving Ryan!

and

ROLL TIDE!!!

Ryan said...

Thank you!

War Eagle!